About Images & Graphics
Photos and graphics are great to include in a course, either as a diagram, example, or simply to emphasize a point. Images placed one by one are easy to add into a course, by using the Visual Editor and selecting Insert Image. If you choose to add multiple images, however, embedding a slideshow is the way to go.
There are many applications such as Flickr, Picasa, Windows Live, etc. to share/host images and create slideshows easily. Each of these provide embed code for your slideshows, requiring no coding on your part.
Whether you add images to your lectures, or use them to spark discussion in a thread, it is easy to do and add into your course.
We have separated this out into a new page. Go to our Digital StoryTelling page.
- iPhoto (Mac) -
This program is part of the iLife package and comes pre-installed on your Mac.
Import, edit, and organize your photos, then print as photos, books, or produce slideshows.
- Microsoft MovieMaker & PhotoGallery (PC) - This is FREE but not included on Windows computers anymore. Download the software from the Microsoft website. This download is for the Microsoft Live Essentials. Once the download completes, you will create a Windows Live user account. Then, go to Start>All Programs, and open Windows Movie Maker. Some examples of things you might want to do is record video with your webcam, make a slideshow with music/audio, or combine different video clips together, complete with titles/captions/credits.
Web Based Slideshow solutions
Select a photo hosting site, such as Picasa, Flickr, Windows Live.
Create a new album within the website you chose, and upload the images. Add in captions to your photos, if you choose (Note: This is very important for ADA 508 Compliance). Then share your photos as a slideshow. Embed code will be provided for you. The embed code will then need to be placed in your content item in the Sandbox shell, in HTML view. Save your changes.
Picasa help http://picasa.google.com/support/
Flickr help http://www.flickr.com/help/faq/
Windows Live help http://explore.live.com/windows-live-photo-gallery-help-center
Other Image & Graphics Resources
- TCU Branding
Online image editor. Crop, edit, add effects, distort and enhance your photos for free.
Wordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes. The images you create with Wordle are yours to use however you like. You can print them out, or save them to the Wordle gallery to share.
- Online Learning Tools - This document contains four worksheets of resources on the web for Content/Discipline-Specific Tools, Presentation & Graphics tools, Faculty Development tools, and Reference tools.
- OnlineConvert - Free online tool to convert media files online from one format into another.
- Google Art Project - Virtual gallery comprised of works from a variety of international museums; students can also build their own galleries by groups works of art together
- Infographics - are "visual representations designed to quickly explain complex information". There's usually a fair amount of data presented in chart/graph form, along with a few short paragraphs and key sentences.
Presentation & Slidecasts
Mobile & Tablet Apps
Other Web 2.0 Tools